Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Respect the Groundhog!

Gandhi was an amazing man. For example, did you know that when he died his only possessions were two dinner bowls, a wooden fork and spoon, some porcelain monkeys, his diary, a prayer book, a watch, a spittoon, a letter opener, and two pairs of sandals? True story. He didn't even own a DVR! Thinking about the example of Gandhi and the causes he fought for made me realize that I need to stand up for a cause myself. And I've found the perfect cause to fight for, namely myself!

That's right, I'm beginning a movement to make Groundhog Day an official national holiday. Now you may callously accuse me of just wanting another day off each year--and you'd be right. But honestly, who doesn't want another day off? Furthermore, think of all those groundhogs that work tirelessly to predict the weather each year. If Columbus gets a holiday, shouldn't groundhogs also be rewarded? I mean, seriously, how many Native Americans have groundhogs murdered?

For any successful campaign, you need a catchy slogan. It's a law of physics or something. So I began thinking about the true focus of this movement. Well, it's about groundhogs, and it's about respect. Put the two together and you get Respect the Groundhog. And here's the official campaign poster:


I know what you're thinking. Before I was singing the praises of Gandhi, and Gandhi always preached non-violence. This picture doesn't really fit that image. All I can say is give Gandhi a break; nobody's perfect.

Finally, the other crucial thing one needs to be able to bring people together for a cause is having a Facebook group (it’s the 2nd law of physics). So we've created a group you can check out at www.groundhogrespect.com. Be sure to sign up, so you can get all the latest news on this important movement. Also, tell your friends about it because only by working together can we fight the injustices against groundhogs (which incidentally includes me).