Friday, January 23, 2009

Stop hatin' on groundhogs

As I work to make Groundhog Day a federal holiday, I am constantly reminded of how the Marmota Monax is misunderstood by society. For example, did you know that most groundhogs live only 6 years in the wild? That's not even legal drinking age! What's with that?! This is just another example of how short-sited society is in making laws that affect groundhogs adversely. There's something called dog years. Clearly this was instituted so that dogs could begin drinking at a reasonable age. But you never hear about groundhog years! With the dawning of the Obama association, I have hope that one day groundhogs may be fully integrated and accepted into society. But when I see things like groundhog recipes, I realize there's still a long way to go.