Thursday, January 15, 2009

When will popular trends finally catch up to me?

Not only did Michael Jackson make great music, he was also an amazing trendsetter. Consider the single glove. It was a simple, elegant statement that really made you think. For example, it made me think, "Wow, this guy is cool, I gotta get a single glove as well!" Then there was the buckle outfit. Talk about a perfectly fitting jumpsuit! There was also the time he wore the brace on his hand. I bet he never had to worry about carpal tunnel syndrome. He had so many different great looks, just check out this collage:


Which of course brings the conversation to me. While everyone embraces the styles of Michael, somehow my style innovations have been largely ignored by the mainstream. There was my idea of wearing an eye patch. It was popular with pirates (Pirates of the Caribbean made a mint off of copying my idea here), but somehow it never picked up steam. Then there was my idea of wearing a banana hammock. What is a more comfortable way to travel the town than with one of those? Five years from now it will probably become all the rage, but by then nobody will remember that I originated this trend. Genius is never appreciated during it's time.